Generation No. 3
8. WILLIAM JASPER4 BRYANT (EVA ANN3 SMITH, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)244,245,246 was born April 30, 1878246,247,248,249,
and died July 21, 1899250,251,252. He married SARAH UNETTA "NETTIE" NANCE253,254,255 December 12, 1897 in Union County, North Carolina256,257,258,
daughter of WILLIAM NANCE and LUCINDA DEESE. She was born
February 20, 1881259,260, and died
More About WILLIAM JASPER BRYANT:
More About SARAH UNETTA "NETTIE" NANCE:
Nicknames: "Nettie" from Unetta262
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM BRYANT and SARAH NANCE:
He was 20 years old; she was 17.
...Esq. J. S. Smith (John Stanley Smith)
Child of WILLIAM BRYANT and SARAH NANCE is:
i. BERTHA5 BRYANT263,264, b. Bef.
9. CLEMENT MARSHALL4 BRYANT (EVA ANN3 SMITH, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)266 was born May 01, 1887266,267,268,
and died October 12, 1962269,270,271. He married BETTY SMITH272
More About CLEMENT MARSHALL BRYANT:
More About BETTY SMITH:
Children of CLEMENT BRYANT and BETTY SMITH are:
i. MARVIN JEROME5 BRYANT277, b. Aft. 1912277.
38. ii. HAZEL CONSTANCE BRYANT, b.
10. JOHN LEMUEL4 SMITH (JOHN STANLY3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)278 was born April 07, 1872 in New Salem, Union County, North Carolina278, and died in Funeral at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, Euto (New Salem), Union County, North Carolina278. He married CORNELIA LENORA JAMES278 August 08, 1897278. She was born March 1886278.
Notes for JOHN LEMUEL SMITH:
Smith), Could read and write
More About JOHN LEMUEL SMITH:
Census: 1880, Age 8 (John L
Religion: Church history based on existing parish records and Journals of278
Marriage Notes for JOHN SMITH and CORNELIA JAMES:
married Cornelia James who was born Mar. 1886. Cornelia's brother was
named Martin James
Children of JOHN SMITH and CORNELIA JAMES are:
i. HENRY5 SMITH278, b. July 1899278.
ii. INFANT SMITH278, b. Aft. 1899.
11. THOMAS J.4 SMITH (JOHN STANLY3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)278 was born January 01, 1874278. He married FRONA ARABELL HUNEYCUTT279
More About THOMAS J. SMITH:
Census: 1880, Age 6 Could read and write
Marriage Notes for THOMAS SMITH and FRONA HUNEYCUTT:
T. J. Smith at age 26 married Fronie A. Huneycutt age 22, daughter of
Adam and Martha
Huneycutt; WC Hartsell, Justice of the Peace,
Bk 2, P.174 Stanly
Children of THOMAS SMITH and FRONA HUNEYCUTT are:
i. BUNYON J.5 SMITH281, b.
ii. W. BOYD SMITH281, b.
39. iii. ARIE L. SMITH, b.
40. iv. M. ALICE SMITH, b.
vi. C. APS SMITH281, b. June 10, 1916281.
vii. AUTA MAE SMITH281, b. August 23, 1918281.
12. CHARLES A.4 SMITH (JOHN STANLY3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)282,283 was born September 25, 1878284,285,286,
and died September 12, 1952 in New Salem Township, Union County, North Carolina287,288. He married ADA BAUCOM289,290291. She was born
Notes for CHARLES A. SMITH:
buried next to his parents, J. Stanley Smith, at Pleasant Hill Baptist
Church Cemetary near New Salem NC
More About CHARLES A. SMITH:
Census: 1880, Age 3
Children of CHARLES SMITH and ADA BAUCOM are:
i. SILAS HAMPTON5 SMITH295, b. February 18, 1908295; d. August 02, 1926, New Salem Township, Union County, North Carolina296.
Notes for SILAS
drowned at Mr. Moore's pond
More About SILAS
ii. MATTIE JANE SMITH297,298, b. October 08, 1911299; m. JOHN ELIJAH HINSON300300; b. July 11, 1902300; d. March 14, 1953300.
Notes for MATTIE JANE SMITH:
More About MATTIE JANE SMITH:
iii. OLAS MAY SMITH302, b. June 09, 1913302.
More About OLAS MAY SMITH:
Living: 2000, Still living303
iv. ROBERT MELTON SMITH304, b. April 10, 1914304,305; d. August 23, 1986305.
More About ROBERT MELTON SMITH:
v. VIRGINIA KATE SMITH306, b. June 28, 1916306.
vi. CORA ALICE SMITH306, b. May 31, 1918306.
13. CALVIN SPENCER4 SMITH (JOHN STANLY3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)307 was born March 17, 1880308,309, and died April 14, 1943309. He married ROXIE MORTON309309. She was born March 12, 1890309, and died February 29, 1960309.
Notes for CALVIN SPENCER SMITH:
old, (born in March) .. Son.. Baby Smith
More About CALVIN SPENCER SMITH:
Census: 1880, Age 3 mo
Occupation: marble cutter; Occupation: could draw very well and carved tombstone designs on grave markers.310
Notes for ROXIE MORTON:
More About ROXIE MORTON:
Children of CALVIN SMITH and ROXIE MORTON are:
i. ANNIE BELL5 SMITH311, b. Bet. 1910 - 1930311; d. 1992, High Point, , North Carolina311; m. JOHN LINCOLN MURROW311311; b. Bet. 1910 - 1930311.
More About ANNIE BELL SMITH:
More About JOHN LINCOLN MURROW:
ii. KATIE SMITH311, b. Bet. 1910 - 1930311.
iii. GEORGE VERNON SMITH311, b.
Bet. 1910 - 1930311; d. Bet. 1985 - 2000,
iv. HOYLE SMITH311, b. Bet. 1910 - 1930311.
More About HOYLE SMITH:
Milit-Beg: was in the Military311
v. JOHN DUGAN SMITH311, b. Bet. 1910 - 1930311; d. Bet. 1970 - 1980, lung cancer311.
More About JOHN DUGAN SMITH:
Occupation: truck driver311
42. vi. EUGENE SPENCER SMITH, b. Abt. 1923, twin of Eunice Morton Smith; d.
vii. EUNICE MORTON SMITH311, b. Abt. 1923, twin of Eugene Spencer Smith311; d. Abt. 1970, brain tumor311.
More About EUNICE MORTON SMITH:
Occupation: beautician, manicurist311
14. SUSAN EMELINE4 SMITH (JOHN STANLY3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)312 was born October 13, 1884 in New Salem, Union County,
North Carolina313,314, and died October 18, 1963 in High
Point, Guilford County, North Carolina314. She married WILLIAM SCHUYLER LEDBETTER314
Notes for SUSAN EMELINE SMITH:
"I believe our J. Stanley Smith and J. Exum Smith lived along
would walk to their house, spend a couple of days and then walk home."
illness (heart failure
native, resident of
Member of St. Timothy
daughters, 3 sons, 6 grandchildren, a great-grandchild. Survivors named
are: Mrs. Lacy Barbee
(Mary Jane Ledbetter,
Hugh Helms (Evelyn
Ledbetter) of Oakboro Rt. 1;
Point; Alfred Lee
Son Bruce Houston,
deceased in World War II, of
killed at the
officiated by The Rev. Thomas H. Swofford
More About SUSAN EMELINE SMITH:
Marriage Notes for SUSAN SMITH and WILLIAM LEDBETTER:
At her home Susan Emeline Smith, age 24, married William Schuyler
Ledbetter, age 24 at the residence of J.S. and Jane Smith [her parents],
at New Salem Towhship,
Union Co. NC, on
[William Jasper?] Smith, J.L. [Lemuel?], and C.S. [Calvin Spencer] Smith,
all of Olive Branch, NC.
Children of SUSAN SMITH and WILLIAM LEDBETTER are:
43. i. MARY JANE5 LEDBETTER, b. Abt. 1908.
ii. ODESSA LEDBETTER319, b. Abt. 1910319; m. WALTER BROOKS319319; b. Abt. 1906319.
Residence: Route 1,
Oakboro, Stanly County,
iii. EVELYN LEDBETTER319, b. Abt. 1912319; m. HUGH HELMS319319; b. Abt. 1908319.
More About EVELYN LEDBETTER:
Residence: Route 1,
Oakboro, Stanly County,
iv. ALTON DUNCAN LEDBETTER319, b. Abt. 1914319.
v. ALFRED LEONIDIUS LEDBETTER320, b. Abt. 1916321.
More About ALFRED LEONIDIUS LEDBETTER:
vi. JAMES REECE LEDBETTER321, b. Abt. 1918321.
vii. BRUCE HOUSTON BENSON LEDBETTER322, b.
Abt. 1920; d. Aft. 1940, Battle of the Bulge World War II, , ,
15. MINNIE ELIZABETH4 HUNEYCUTT (TEMPERANCE JANE3 SMITH, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)323 was born
Children of MINNIE HUNEYCUTT and JAMES WILLIAMS are:
i. CLIVE5 WILLIAMS323, b. Abt. 1891.
ii. RAFE WILLIAMS323, b. Abt. 1893.
iii. CORTEZ WILLIAMS323, b. Abt. 1895.
iv. OLLIE MAUDE WILLIAMS324,325, b. July 16, 1899326,327; d. July 23, 1972328,329; m. VERNON C. THOMAS330,331,332, September 01, 1918332; b. November 17, 1885332,333; d. December 01, 1947334,335.
More About OLLIE MAUDE WILLIAMS:
16. ILA4 HUNEYCUTT (TEMPERANCE JANE3 SMITH, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1) was born
More About ILA HUNEYCUTT:
Child of ILA HUNEYCUTT and ROBERT DRYE is:
i. ROY EDGAR5 DRYE337, b. Abt. 1902; d. September 14, 1969337; m. EMMA SMITH337338; b. March 12, 1907, Stanfield, Stanly County, North Carolina339,340; d. December 30, 1989340.
Notes for ROY EDGAR DRYE:
He did a lot of Smith, Drye, Huneycutt genealogy research.
More About ROY EDGAR DRYE:
More About EMMA SMITH:
17. THEODORE F.4 HUNEYCUTT (TEMPERANCE JANE3 SMITH, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1888. He married (1) CORA HUNEYCUTT Abt. 1908. She was born Abt. 1888. He married (2) MINNIE HUNEYCUTT Aft. 1908. She was born Abt. 1888.
Child of THEODORE HUNEYCUTT and MINNIE HUNEYCUTT is:
44. i. ROSE5 HUNEYCUTT, b. Aft. 1908.
18. WILLIAM JEROME4 HUNEYCUTT (TEMPERANCE JANE3 SMITH, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)341 was born
More About WILLIAM JEROME HUNEYCUTT:
of a church, Laurel Hill, ,
Children of WILLIAM HUNEYCUTT and MARGARET SIMS are:
45. i. HUNEYCUTT5, b. Abt. 1925.
ii. MARGARET HUNEYCUTT, b. Aft. 1925.
iii. WILLIAM JEROME HUNEYCUTT JR., b. Aft. 1925.
iv. CAROLYN HUNEYCUTT, b. Aft. 1925.
v. MELLICENT HUNEYCUTT, b. Aft. 1925.
19. DR. QUINCY NEWTON4 HUNEYCUTT (TEMPERANCE JANE3 SMITH, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1) was born
More About DR. QUINCY
Occupation: did genealogical research; Occupation: traced the Huneycutt line back to early Virginia342
Religion: Presbyterian minister
Children of QUINCY HUNEYCUTT and BESSIE HAGLER are:
46. i. BESSIE CARMEN5 HUNEYCUTT, b.
47. ii. MAYO GERONE HUNEYCUTT, b.
20. TEMPIE EUNICE "PEM"4 SMITH (CALVIN M.3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)343 was born
Children of TEMPIE SMITH and JAMES HONEYCUTT are:
i. PEARL5 HONEYCUTT343, b. Bef. 1897; m. OSCAR BRANTLEY343; b. Bef. 1897.
ii. ZEALON ASTOR HONEYCUTT343, b. July 04, 1897, North Carolina343; d. May 23, 1977, North Carolina343; m. CHLOE WILLIAMS343; b. May 14, 1901343.
More About ZEALON ASTOR HONEYCUTT:
iii. BEATRICE HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1899; m. HARVEY RUSHING343; b. Abt. 1899.
iv. LESLIE HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1900; m. BURTON TUCKER343; b. Abt. 1901.
More About LESLIE HONEYCUTT:
Burial: Stanly County,
Burial: Stanly County,
v. NINA HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1901; m. HORACE PRESSLEY343; b. Abt. 1903.
More About NINA HONEYCUTT:
More About HORACE PRESSLEY:
vi. ETHEL HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1902; m. BRICE MEDLIN343; b. Abt. 1905.
More About ETHEL HONEYCUTT:
More About BRICE MEDLIN:
vii. THOMAS "TOM" HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1904; m. EDITH FLOY WILLIAMS343; b. Abt. 1907; d. May 1996, Union County, North Carolina343.
viii. MAY HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1906; m. DOWD WILLIAMS343; b. Abt. 1909.
More About DOWD WILLIAMS:
ix. CLYDE HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1908; m. CLARA BAUCOM343; b. Abt. 1911.
x. RANSOM "RANCE" HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1910; m. DAISEY HOWARD343; b. Abt. 1913.
More About RANSOM "RANCE" HONEYCUTT:
xi. WRISTON HONEYCUTT343, b. Abt. 1912; d. July 1999343; m. EUNICE WILLIAMS343; b. Abt. 1915.
More About WRISTON HONEYCUTT:
More About EUNICE WILLIAMS:
xii. SADIE H. HONEYCUTT343, b. July 07, 1914343; m. JAMES A. "JIM" LEDBETTER343; b. June 09, 1910343; d. July 17, 1975343.
21. FAIRLEY WEBSTER "FARRELL"4 SMITH (CALVIN M.3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)343 was born Bet. 1873 - 1898, and died
Child of FAIRLEY SMITH and EVA TUCKER is:
i. LEE ADAM5 SMITH343, b. February 25, 1909343; d. November 1975, Oakboro, Stanly County, North Carolina343; m. ESTHER CATHERINE HINSON344; b. Abt. 1909.
22. SARAH ELIZABETH "SADIE"4 SMITH (CALVIN M.3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)345 was born January 15, 1880 in Stanly County, North
Carolina345,346, and died March 08, 1954 in Big Lick
Township, Stanly County, North Carolina347,348. She married FRANCIS MARION HUNEYCUTT349
More About SARAH ELIZABETH "SADIE" SMITH:
More About FRANCIS MARION HUNEYCUTT:
Children of SARAH SMITH and FRANCIS HUNEYCUTT are:
i. EFFIE MARGARET5 HUNEYCUTT352, b. June 16, 1897, Stanly County, North Carolina353,354,355; d. November 1967, Halifax County, Virginia356; m. OLIVER JOHN HUNEYCUTT357,358, 4 sons358; b. Abt. 1897, Stanly County, North Carolina358; d. September 1967, Halifax County, Virginia358.
ii. DAISIE HONEYCUTT359,360, b. August 13, 1898361,362; m. BRANTLEY W. HUNEYCUTT363364; b. September 18, 1897365; d. September 30, 1974365.
iii. CARL CLAUDE HUNEYCUTT366, b. August 03, 1900367,368; m. (1) MAY HELMS369370; b. Abt. 1900; m. (2) ANNIE HINSON371372; b. Abt. 1900.
iv. NARIE ISADORE HUNEYCUTT373, b. August 31, 1902374,375; m. WADE FRANKLIN CRAYTON376, December 22, 1922376,377; b. November 11, 1898378; d. June 29, 1964378.
More About WADE FRANKLIN CRAYTON:
v. POLLY MAE HUNEYCUTT379, b. August 28, 1904380,381; d. 1970382; m. PAUL DAVID THOMPSON382383; b. Abt. 1904.
vi. OLA A. HUNEYCUTT384, b. June 24, 1906385,386; m. JAMES ALTON HILL387388; b. April 25, 1911389; d. July 12, 1976389.
vii. ROSS M. HUNEYCUTT390, b. October 23, 1908391,392; m. GRACE CONNELL393394; b. Abt. 1908.
viii. LOMAS DEWEY HUNEYCUTT395, b. April 12, 1910, Stanly County, North Carolina396,397; m. GERTRUDE GLADYS SMITH398, no children399; b. Abt. 1910.
ix. GLADYS CAROLINE HONEYCUTT400, b. September 19, 1912400; m. CLETUS WILLIAMS400401; b. Abt. 1912.
x. HOUSTON HUNEYCUTT401, b. May 16, 1914402; m. LULA MAE "DUDE" MOYLE402403; b. Abt. 1914.
xi. RUBY HUNEYCUTT, b. May 04, 1916404; m. JAMES HATLEY404405; b. Abt. 1916.
23. MARTIN LUTHER "MART"4 SMITH (CALVIN M.3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)406 was born July 03, 1888406, and died
Children of MARTIN SMITH and BESSIE GURLEY are:
i. VERNA5 SMITH406, b. Abt. 1914; m. BILL JONES406; b. Abt. 1914.
ii. ELVIE SMITH406, b. Abt. 1916; m. "BUCK" HINSON406; b. Abt. 1916.
iii. CHRISTINE SMITH406, b. Abt. 1918; m. WARREN HELMS406; b. Abt. 1918.
iv. MYRON SMITH406, b. Abt. 1920; m. ZANIA "JACKIE" RICHARDSON406; b. Abt. 1920.
v. WILLIE RUTH SMITH406, b. Abt. 1922; m. JEROME PRESSON406; b. Abt. 1922.
vi. JESSIE SMITH406, b. Abt. 1924; m. MICHAEL "MICK" PURNELL406; b. Abt. 1924.
vii. BESS JEAN "BECKY" SMITH406, b. Abt. 1926; m. I. SIDNEY HANDSELL406; b. Abt. 1926.
24. JOHN ERASTUS "RAS"4 SMITH (CALVIN M.3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)406 was born Bet. 1893 - 1896 in
Children of JOHN SMITH and ROSA HARGETT are:
i. CLAUDIA IRENE5 SMITH406, b. 1923,
ii. BILLIE MAXINE SMITH406, b.
25. DAVID ABRAHAM "COOT"4 SMITH (CALVIN M.3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)407 was born
Child of DAVID SMITH and DELLA GURLEY is:
49. i. J. D.5 SMITH, b. Abt. 1920.
26. DEWEY GOTHEREN4 SMITH (CALVIN M.3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)408 was born May 05, 1898 in Stanly County, North
Carolina408, and died January 20, 1969 in Monroe, Union
County, North Carolina408. He married (1) DELLA ANN "DILLIE" PEACH408 Abt. 1916. She was born
More About DELLA ANN "DILLIE" PEACH:
Burial: August 26, 1928, old High Hill Cemetery, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina408
Children of DEWEY SMITH and DELLA PEACH are:
50. i. ROBERT EUGENE5 SMITH, b.
51. ii. JAMES GOTHREN "JIM" SMITH, b. August 11, 1928, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina; d. May 12, 1995, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.
Children of DEWEY SMITH and LILLIAN REED are:
52. iii. NADINE REID5 SMITH, b. September 30, 1930, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina; d. October 12, 1999, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina.
53. iv. JERRY ARLEN SMITH, b. March 06, 1934, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina.
v. JOHNNIE DOUGLAS SMITH408, b. October 07, 1939, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina408; d. October 17, 1939, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina408.
27. HESTER A.4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1) was born December 1874. She married ELI H. HUNEYCUTT January 28, 1894 in MB 2, p. 138, , Stanly County, North Carolina409,410, son of JOHN HUNEYCUTT and ELIZABETH ROWLAND. He was born October 1869.
Notes for HESTER A. SMITH:
Daughter of W. J. Smith, House # 116 Union County
Eli H. Hunnycutt - age 30 - date of birth Oct. 1869
Hester - Wife - age 27 - date of birth Dec. 1872
Clody (Maybe Claude) son - age 6 - date of birth Sept. 1893
_______ - Son - date of birth May 1900
This family was living beside my g grandfather, George W. Smith, in
More About HESTER A. SMITH:
Census: 1880, Age 6
Marriage Notes for HESTER SMITH and ELI HUNEYCUTT:
From Stanly Co. NC Marriage Book 2, page 138:
Huneycutt, Eli H. ( 23) son of John A. & Elizabeth Huneycutt, wed Hester
A. Smith (20) daughter
of Jasper & Catharine (d) Smith, on
J.C. Little, JP
Children of HESTER SMITH and ELI HUNEYCUTT are:
i. CLAUDIOUS "CLODY"5 HUNEYCUTT, b. September 1893; m. HATTIE K.; b. Abt. 1893.
ii. DWIGHT JACKSON HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1895; m. BETTY W.; b. Abt. 1895.
iii. ALMA HUNEYCUTT410, b. Bet. 1895 - 1920.
iv. LUMUS HUNEYCUTT410, b. Bet. 1895 - 1920.
v. WAYNE HUNEYCUTT410, b. Bet. 1895 - 1920.
vi. DURWOOD HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1897; m. LUMMIE T.; b. Abt. 1897.
vii. SON HUNEYCUTT, b. May 1900.
viii. CYRUS KERMIT HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1902; m. FRANCES C.; b. Abt. 1902.
ix. JAMES OSCAR HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1904; m. MARY A.; b. Abt. 1904.
x. W. D. HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1906; m. SHIRLEY M.; b. Abt. 1906.
xi. MARION REGIONALD HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1908; m. ELAINE W.; b. Abt. 1908.
xii. LENORA HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1910; m. ANDREW W. DAVIS; b. Abt. 1910.
xiii. KATHRYN HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1912; m. BENJAMIN L. LANIER; b. Abt. 1912.
xiv. MARY ALTON HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1914; m. JAMES H. SULLIVAN; b. Abt. 1914.
xv. MARY ANN HUNEYCUTT, b. Abt. 1916; m. ALBERT K. ISENHOUR; b. Abt. 1916.
28. JOHN C.4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)411,412 was born September 1883413,414, and
died Bef. 1920414. He
Marriage Notes for JOHN SMITH and
C. J. Black,
Smith, John C. (21)
son of Wm. J. & Fannie E. Smith, wed
Huneycutt (18) dau. of
J.W. & Mollie Huneycutt on
JP. Stanly Co. NC, Book 2 page 208.
Children of JOHN SMITH and LENA HUNEYCUTT are:
i. MARIE5 SMITH, b. Abt. 1900; m. PURSER; b. Abt. 1900.
54. ii. CLARENCE ERASTUS SMITH, b. February 10, 1904; d. May 04, 1994, New Salem Township, Union County, North Carolina.
29. THOMAS4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)417,418 was born December 1885, and died Bet. 1897 - 1965 in after an appendix surgery, Morganton, Burke County, North Carolina418. He married JANE "JANIE" JEROME419,420 Bet. 1897 - 1949420. She was born Abt. 1896, and died Bet. 1897 - 1970420.
More About THOMAS SMITH:
Religion: Methodist Minister; Religion: who married Leonard & Olena Smith Ham421
Marriage Notes for THOMAS SMITH and JANE JEROME:
Smith, Thomas 36 farmer
" Janie wife 24
" Wilbert son 1-4/12
Children of THOMAS SMITH and JANE JEROME are:
55. i. WILBERT "WILBUR"5 SMITH, b. Abt. 1918; d. Aft. 1940, Young of a heart condition.
ii. STOKES SMITH421, b. Abt. 1920; m. ELIZABETH A.; b. Abt. 1920.
More About STOKES SMITH:
30. NOLA A.4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)422,423 was born October 1888, and died Bet. 1893 - 1969423. She married ANDREW BENTON MOORE424,425,426 Bet. 1893 - 1945427, son of HENRY MOORE and EMELINE EDWARDS. He was born Abt. 1885, and died Bet. 1893 - 1957427.
Notes for NOLA A. SMITH:
5-point Road actually an intersection where 5 roads meet, also known as 5
She said she and her husband had Damon ran the general store located near
the cemetery but had not ran it for years. She said they leased the
store from A. B. Moore.
I asked her who the property around the church belonged to and she stated
it belonged to the
Jack was deceased and that his wife Louise rented the house and had moved
From email from
More About NOLA A. SMITH:
Occupation: boarding house for students; Occupation: She kept school boarders on one of corners of the 5-point Road
Notes for ANDREW BENTON
The Moore's and
Smith's owned the land around
More About ANDREW BENTON
Occupation: He also owned the old store building beside the graveyard where John Exum
Marriage Notes for NOLA SMITH and ANDREW MOORE:
Jasper Smith's daughter, Nola, married A. B. Moore.
Child of NOLA SMITH and ANDREW MOORE is:
31. ARTHUR LEE4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)429,430,431,432 was born May 11, 1894 in New Salem Township, Union
County, North Carolina433,434,435, and died March 25, 1948 in
at home in Concord, NC at age 52, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina436,437,438. He married IVA FETNA THOMAS439 February 06, 1919440, daughter of CLEMENT THOMAS and MARY HINSON. She was born
Notes for ARTHUR LEE SMITH:
Listed in Davidson Nance, Nance=The History and Genealogy of the Nances,
My granddaddy Smith died when I was only 2 years old, so I never really
knew him. He was only about 52 when he died from a sudden heart attack.
He and his brothers had a barber-shop quartet and he sang the lead tenor
My mother said that my granddaddy Smith really knew about rhythm and
counting and was really good at it.
At all the parties and gatherings, he would sing the "Laughin' Song".
Alphalfa sang this same song on one of the Little Rascals movies. They
would go to
daughters Olena and
could hear my mother pray again". I don't know the title, or who wrote
it, but that's how the lyrics start out.
More About ARTHUR LEE SMITH:
Baptism: Mount Moriah Methodist Church, New Salem Township, Union County, North Carolina
Burial: Oakwood Cemetery, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina445
Illness: Bef. 1948, had diabetes for a long time446
Interests: singing, a leading tenor voice446
Moving: Cabarrus County, North Carolina
Occupation: manager Pounds Coal Company, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina447
Religion: St. Ann's Methodist Church, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina; Religion: church choir director at a large city church448
Residence: Union Co. N.C.#GT#Concord, New Salem Township, Union County, North Carolina
Notes for IVA FETNA THOMAS:
Listed in Davidson Nance, Nance=The History and Genealogy of the Nances,
Record Number:, Marshville, North Carolina, May 1, 1930, p. 45, 47.
There was no birth certificate. Her birth date was only known as her
personal knowledge of her birthday. She was told this story to be able to
tell how old she was. In 1899, her daddy took out an insurance policy out
on her, telling the insurance agent that she would be two on her next
birthday - May 2. This took place in 1899 and counting back 2 years would
be 1897. She was born
Marshall, her daddy, would have been 50 years old when Iva was born.
Catherine, her mother, would have been about 48 years old when she was
born. She was the youngest of eleven children.
My grandmother lived to be 98 and 1/2 years and died in 1995. I knew her
Read Bible, crochet afghans, crossword & picture puzzles
She loved to crochet afghans in the ziz zag pattern in many color
combinations and did many of these afghans, giving them to many different
people, even way up into her nineties, the last of them probably no more
than a year before she died at age 98 and a half years old.
also known as "Ivy", "Mama Smith"
Her grandchildren and even other people called her "Mama Smith".
Funeral Service: James 4:8; Psalm 23; Amazing Grace; When We All Get To
She then went to the hospital in Concord, where medical tests showed she
probably had liver cancer. She was too old to be operated on or to
receive chemo-therapy, being at that time 98 years old. She went to Brian
Center in Mooresville, North Carolina, where she died 4 months later on
Dec. 30, 1995.
Mrs. Iva Fisher
Services will be at today at Wilkinson Funeral Home Chapel. Burial
will be at
The family will receive friends from to today at the funeral
Marshall and Mary
Catherine Hinson Thomas. She was a member of
Her first husband was the late Arthur Smith. Her second husband was the
late Dr. W. R. Fisher.
Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Olena Smith Ham of Mooresville; 11
grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild.
She also played the piano just a little bit, just enough for a few hymns
that she would play.
I remember her playing probably her favorite hymn "What a Friend We Have
More About IVA FETNA THOMAS:
Burial: Abt. January 02, 1996, Oakwood Cemetery, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina449
Education: 3rd grade450
Funeral Ho: Aft. January 01, 1996, Wilkinsons Funeral Home, Undertaker, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina450
Illness: August 1995450
Interests: crochet and reading the Bible450
Memorial S: Aft.
Nicknames: Ivy, Mama Smith450
Obituary: Aft. January 01, 1996450
Occupation: practical nurse450
Marriage Notes for ARTHUR SMITH and IVA THOMAS:
She married first Arthur Smith, son of William Jasper Smith and Francis
Almira Stewart. They
were the parents of three girls,
Willie Ree. They met
Children of ARTHUR SMITH and IVA THOMAS are:
56. i. HELEN GLARIS5 SMITH, b.
ii. INFANT SMITH450, b. Abt. 1920450.
More About INFANT SMITH:
Burial: Abt. 1920,
57. iii. OLENA SMITH, b. October 17, 1921, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina; d. July 14, 2005, Thursday morning, 9:50 at home, Mooresville, Iredell County, North Carolina.
58. iv. WILLIE REE SMITH, b. June 27, 1924, Concord, Cabarrus County, North Carolina; d. October 25, 1991, Mooresville, Iredell County, North Carolina.
32. LESTER E.4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)451,452 was born November 1896, and died Bet. 1876 - 1965452. He married BESS TARLETON453453. She was born Abt. 1886.
Child of LESTER SMITH and BESS TARLETON is:
i. DENNIS5 SMITH, b. Abt. 1906; m. DIANE B.; b. Abt. 1906.
33. DR. AARON N.4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)454,455 was born Abt. 1900, and died Bet. 1876 - 1965455. He married EDNA CRUMPLER456. She was born Abt. 1900.
More About DR. AARON N. SMITH:
Child of AARON SMITH and EDNA CRUMPLER is:
i. LARUE CRUMPLER5 SMITH, b. Abt. 1920, Union County, North Carolina; d. January 31, 1988, Monroe, Union County, North Carolina.
34. ZOLA E.4 SMITH (WILLIAM JASPER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)457,458 was born Abt. 1903, and died Bet. 1876 - 1969 in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina458. She married GUS PARKER. He was born Abt. 1890, and died Aft. 1999 in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
Notes for ZOLA E. SMITH:
her family called her "Aunt Zola" or "Zora Smith"
More About ZOLA E. SMITH:
More About GUS PARKER:
Children of ZOLA SMITH and GUS PARKER are:
i. SARAH E.5 PARKER, b. Abt. 1935.
ii. CELIA PARKER, b. Abt. 1937; d. Abt. 1965,
Notes for CELIA PARKER:
killed in a car crash by a drunk driver
More About CELIA PARKER:
Occupation: school music teacher
35. STANLY WEBSTER4 SMITH (GEORGE WEBSTER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)461 was born Abt. 1884, and died 462. He married LEXIE ARRANNA DRY462 December 31, 1911462, daughter of WADE DRY and MARY HOWELL. She was born Abt. 1884.
Notes for STANLY WEBSTER SMITH:
result of internal injuries received in an automobile accident on
Hwy.24/27. They were hit by a drunken driver, whose car was filled with
empty liquor bottles. Their car, driven by Uncle John Smith, was filled
with Bibles. Before he died he was worried that a neighbor boy, Archie,
might fall into a hole for their septic tank before the hole was closed.
"Played the banjo at square dances on Saturday night and played
the organ at church on Sunday morning!"
"I have my Grandpa Webster's banjo. He played the banjo at
square dances on Saturday night and played the organ at church
on Sunday morning!"
"The house where
they lived is just below
is on the opposite side of the road and the old
house has been torn down and a new house built and the property is fenced
in with a white fence. It was a nice location and there was a creek close
by. Only one farm separated George and Web Smith."
More About STANLY WEBSTER SMITH:
Memorial S: preached by Rev. Q.N.Huneycutt
Notes for LEXIE ARRANNA DRY:
great-granddaughter of Leah Tucker Dry Smith
More About LEXIE ARRANNA DRY:
Children of STANLY SMITH and LEXIE DRY are:
i. BERNARD5 SMITH465, b. July 1912465; d. July 1912, died at birth, not full-term465.
Notes for BERNARD SMITH:
beside graves of 3 little daughters of George Smith and Lydia Brooks
More About BERNARD SMITH:
ii. MAGGIE SMITH, b. Bet. 1913 - 1930.
iv. BUFORD SMITH, b. Bet. 1913 - 1930.
v. BLANCHE SMITH, b. Bet. 1913 - 1930.
36. BEDIE ANN4 SMITH (GEORGE WEBSTER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)466 was born Bef. 1898. She married RUFUS DRY, son of CHARLES DRY and
Children of BEDIE SMITH and RUFUS DRY are:
i. ALMA5 DRY, b. Abt. 1920; m. JIMMY WADKINS; b. Abt. 1902.
Notes for JIMMY WADKINS:
"He had been in World War
II and was with General Patton's division. He had a map on his
wall documenting the battles his division fought in. He had
been a courier for General Patton and said General Patton
almost ran over him one day. Nevertheless, he really liked the
General. He was in
60. ii. ARLENE DRY, b. Abt. 1922.
iii. PAULINE DRY466, b. Abt. 1924; m. VANCE HATHCOCK466; b. Abt. 1906.
Notes for PAULINE DRY:
lives next door to the old Charles A. Dry homeplace. It was on
More About PAULINE DRY:
Notes for VANCE HATHCOCK:
a talented fiddle player, who played at blue grass events all around.
More About VANCE HATHCOCK:
37. BEULAH BRANTTY4 SMITH (GEORGE WEBSTER3, JOHN EXUM2, JAMES1)466 was born Abt. 1901. She married CHARLES J. DRYE in 2nd wife466. He was born Abt. 1896.
Notes for BEULAH BRANTTY SMITH:
Lloyd said she always sang to them when they were small. She knew
all the old English ballads. The songs and music were a fond
memory of his childhood.
More About BEULAH BRANTTY SMITH:
their family there, ,
Child of BEULAH SMITH and CHARLES DRYE is:
61. i. LLOYD5 DRYE, b. Abt. 1921.